Applications for ARO Graduate Student/Postdoctoral Fellow Travel Awards:
Application period is September 1- October 1, 2020
The Association for Research in Otolaryngology (ARO) announces that applications are being accepted September 1- October 1, 2020 for travel awards for graduate students and post-doctoral fellows to attend the 2021 ARO MidWinter Meeting being held February 20-24, 2021 at the Renaissance SeaWorld, in Orlando, Florida, USA. Awards of $500 each are being offered to defray travel and lodging costs associated with attendance of the MidWinter meeting. Eligible applications are scored by the Travel Awards Committee (Chaired by Dr Mike Bowl), which is appointed by the ARO President.
The purpose of the award is to encourage graduate students and post-doctoral fellows to attend the Midwinter Meeting and become active in the ARO. The funds for the awards come from generous donations from various companies and institutions. The highest scoring applicant from the graduate student and from the Post-doctoral fellow categories will be awarded a Don Henderson Travel Award (Don Henderson Travel Award Fund) of $750.
The ARO is committed to inclusiveness, as such individuals with a disability (e.g. loss of hearing, vision, or mobility, as well as individuals with a psychiatric or learning disability) and individuals from groups historically under-represented in the biomedical sciences (e.g. African American, Hispanic, Native American, Alaskan native, or Pacific Islander) are highly encouraged to apply.
- Applicants must be current ARO members at the time of application and at the time of the MidWinter Meeting.
- Applicants must be full-time graduate students or post-doctoral research fellows carrying out research pertinent to the interests of ARO (Note: Medical students, Residents and MD researchers should NOT apply under this category).
- Applicants must be the presenting author on an abstract submitted for the 2021 ARO Midwinter Meeting.
- Applicants must NOT be based in, or near, the city hosting the MidWinter meeting.
- Successful applicants are expected to stay for the duration of MidWinter meeting, not just one or two days.
- Applicants must complete the electronic application form.
- Applicants must upload a cover letter stating why they wish to attend the MidWinter meeting and what they hope to achieve from their attendance (two-page limit).
- Applicants must upload a copy of the abstract they have submitted for presentation (poster or podium) at the 2021 ARO MidWinter Meeting (Note: The original must have already been successfully submitted via the electronic abstract submission site).
- Applicants must upload a Curriculum Vitae
- Applicants must provide an email address for their current graduate training supervisor, director of the graduate program, or department chairman. This is so we can contact them directly for a ‘letter of recommendation’, including asking for a guarantee of funds to pay the balance of travel expenses (Note: If more than one applicant comes from a group/program, the supervisor/director/chairman will be asked to prioritize the applicants).
Applicants will be notified of the results of the selection process by December 16, 2020. For more information, contact the ARO Executive Office Meetings Department.