Applications for ARO Resident/Medical Student Travel Awards:
Application Period is September 1- October 1, 2020
The Association for Research in Otolaryngology (ARO) announces that applications are being accepted September 1- October 1, 2020 for travel awards for residents and medical students in the field of Otolaryngology to attend the 2021 ARO MidWinter Meeting being held February 20.24, 2021 at the Renaissance SeaWorld, in Orlando, Florida, USA. Awards are being offered to defray travel and lodging costs associated with attendance of the MidWinter meeting. Eligible applications are scored by the Travel Awards Committee (Chaired by Dr Mike Bowl), which is appointed by the ARO President.
The purpose of the award is to encourage residents and medical students to become active in the ARO and to promote interaction between MD’s and PhD’s as well as clinical and basic researchers in the field of Otolaryngology. The ARO Resident/Medical Student Travel Awards ($500/award) are funded by a grant from the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD) of the National Institutes of Health. The highest scoring applicant from the Resident/Medical Student category will be awarded a Don Henderson Travel Award (Don Henderson Travel Award Fund) of $750.
The ARO is committed to inclusiveness, as such individuals with a disability (e.g. loss of hearing, vision, or mobility, as well as individuals with a psychiatric or learning disability) and individuals from groups historically under-represented in the biomedical sciences (e.g. African American, Hispanic, Native American, Alaskan native, or Pacific Islander) are highly encouraged to apply.
This year we also encourage young French Clinicians to apply for a travel award to attend the MidWinter meeting, with three awards (€1,000/award) being funded by the Fondation Pour l’Audition (FPA), Paris. If you are a French Clinician, and you would like to be considered for this award, please be sure to check the box on the electronic application form.
- Applicants must be current ARO members at the time of application and at the time of the MidWinter Meeting.
- Applicants must be a Resident in Otolaryngology or a medical student (Note: Post-doctoral clinical or research fellows are not eligible for this award).
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate career goals directed toward academic practice.
- Applicants must be the presenting author on an abstract submitted for the 2021 ARO Midwinter Meeting.
- Applicants must NOT be based in, or near, the city hosting the MidWinter meeting.
- Successful applicants are expected to stay for the duration of MidWinter meeting, not just one or two days.
- Applicants must complete the electronic application form.
- Applicants must upload a cover letter stating why they wish to attend the MidWinter meeting and what they hope to achieve from their attendance (two-page limit).
- Applicants must upload a copy of the abstract they have submitted for presentation (poster or podium) at the 2021 ARO MidWinter Meeting (Note: The original must have already been successfully submitted via the electronic abstract submission site).
- Applicants must upload a Curriculum Vitae.
- Applicants must provide an email address for their current department chairman. This is so we can contact them directly for a ‘letter of recommendation’, including asking for a guarantee of funds to pay the balance of travel expenses (Note: If more than one applicant comes from a group/program, the supervisor/director/chairman will be asked to prioritize the applicants).
Applicants will be notified of the results of the selection process by December 16, 2020. For more information, contact the ARO Executive Office Meetings Department.