Research Assistant III, Laboratory of Dr. Uri Manor
POSITION SUMMARY: The Research Assistant III is responsible for select lab managerial duties in support of the Principal Investigator’s (PI) studies along with performing and contributing to research on assigned projects within the lab. Duties include establishing and performing independent research and analysis on projects that involve the study of hearing loss, inner ear sensory hair cells, neurons, and cell cultures. Cell and tissue culture, microscopy (training will be available), and various cellular and molecular biology techniques will be an essential part of this research. Murine models of hearing loss and neurodegenerative disorders are heavily employed in the lab. May provide task instruction, training, and guidance to lower-level personnel.
(80%) Research Support
• Tissue and cell culture and transfections, including stem cell reprogramming
• Plasmid assembly and protein purification.
• Dissection, staining, and imaging of inner ear tissues
• Hearing testing in animal models
• Perform various techniques in molecular biology such as: RNA and Western Blots.
• Maintenance of data sets, lab supplies, and general lab operations.
(20%) Lab Management
• Manages resources/supplies and coordinates research projects to achieve specific goals and timetables.
• Identifies problems with the lab procedures, escalates to PI when needed with proposed solutions, and implements corrective action as needed.
• Provides technical expertise, answers research related, operational and Salk procedural questions.
• Oversees general lab maintenance/organization, upkeep, and compliance with safety initiatives.
• Contributes to and oversees the development of new techniques and standardized operating protocols (SOP), utilizing new tools that lead to the modification of methodology and increased quality and reliability of research.
• Minimum 4 years of experience in molecular or cell biology including experience with mammalian cell culture, cellular and molecular biology techniques.
• Inner ear or hearing loss research. Stem cell culture.
• Bachelor’s degree in biological sciences, or equivalent.
• MS or PhD degree in biological sciences.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Theoretical and hands on knowledge of tissue culture and molecular biology techniques.
• Ability to perform highly complex experiments and techniques with high levels of reliability and accuracy within time constraints.
• Demonstrated ability to conduct and oversee independent research. This includes the ability to (a) develop, maintain, execute, and complete research projects of varying size and scope; (b) critically read, understand, and extract information from published medical, chemical, and biological literature to prepare background information for scientific abstracts, manuscripts, lectures, and grant proposals; (c) perform basic data and statistical analysis; and (d) produce high-quality abstracts, manuscripts, lectures, and grant applications.
• Ability to independently design experiments and debug protocols.
• Ability to manage and track large numbers of samples meticulously without mixup or cross contamination.
• Demonstrated ability to prioritize and work independently.
• Skill in the operation and maintenance of various lab equipment.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently, prioritize work and independently manage multiple, diverse and competing priorities while meeting deadlines; plan and develop
Job Title: Research Assistant III, Laboratory of Dr. Uri Manor
Job #: RESEA01289
Please visit our careers page at the link below for more information and to apply for this role.